Monday, March 3, 2014

Reflection # 5



 Not An Easy Road!!

Class was very interesting this week, especially as we addressed Sheryl Sandberg’s “Lean In” book. I have always heard that women had to be ‘go getters’ and put themselves out there to succeed and advance. However, little did I ever hear about the external forces that affect women’s ability to advance. Gaby, our guest speaker, and Dr. Patterson made valid points on the structural challenges that women face in an organization. We are told to ‘sit at the table’ instead of on the side, but what if our position does not allow us any access to the table? It would be very difficult to just walk into an executive meeting as if you were meant to be there when you are merely a secretary, and sit down at the table. Advancing is not impossible in this case, but it is definitely not an easy road. You have to be in the right position at the right time and stick to the course. This is not to say that the odds will not be against you, most of the time, but it is definitely worth the effort.



I do believe however, that it does take drive, persistence, and perseverance to succeed as women, and definitely at a higher drive than men. We have to work harder especially because less than 50 years ago, it was not the norm for women to be as active in the workforce as they are today. Howerver, hard work usually does pay off. I will use myself as a prime example. Although I am not a leader (yet) I had to work for where I am. I took initiative. I was willing to put in the long hours and "little pay" because I saw an opportunity. When I found out that the person who was previously in my current position had plans on leaving, I had a goal. To learn as much as I could and prove to my bosses that I was the right person for the position and I did. It definitely came at a cost though. Not only was I working in two offices for majority of last year, but I was doing full-time work at part time pay. In the end though, I got a job pretty much handed to me. It was extremely beneficial to the office because they did not have to post the position and interview for replacements. However, I earned the job, if they did not think that I was capable, convenience or not, I would not have been offered the position. Although I was not striving for an executive position in an office dominated by men (more like dominated by Hispanics), I still believe it serves as a good example of having to work hard for what we want.




Leadership is definitely a challenge for women as well. Not only can the journey be a bit trying, but maintaining it is also a mission.  The Harvard Business Review presented an article “Women Rising: The Unseen Barriers”, where they argued that “Becoming a leader involves much more than being put in a leadership role, acquiring new skills, and adapting one’s style to the requirements of that role. It involves a fundamental identity shift.” (Ibarra, Ely, Kold, 2013) They mention that companies are more focused on ensuring that individuals, have the right skills and capabilities to be a leader when in fact, there must be a mental competency as well. Women, especially, have to see themselves as a leader; they have to “gain a sense of themselves as leaders, be recognized as such, and ultimately succeed.” (Ibarra, Ely, Kold, 2013) To be effective, leaders need affirmation and empowerment that “gives the person the fortitude to step outside a comfort zone and experiment with unfamiliar behaviors and new ways of exercising leadership.” (Ibarra, Ely, Kold, 2013) Women are especially tasked with having to prove themselves in leadership positions. Besides having the obvious skills to be a leader, they have to identify themselves as a leader and be confident and the confidence needs to be and should be encouraged by the organization they work for. However, women are also faced with the challenge of balance, Stivers mentions this in her text. Women have to “project an image that is feminine enough that [they] won’t be called a dyke…but not so feminine that [they] won’t be taken seriously.” (pp 72) Its a never ending battle for us.



In conclusion, it is more than just sitting at the table. There are multiple structural challenges women will face in their career lifetime. Not to mention the other obstacles we face, such as having to balance work and life (and being stereotyped as such even if we don't choose that path). However, I do believe that it is important and extremely beneficial to have women on the sidelines rooting other women on, like Sandberg and others. Though there may be some loopholes in her arguments (like many other arguments) her success can and has been great motivation for many and that is awesome!

Ibarra, H., Ely, R., Kold, D. (2013) Women Rising: The Unseen Barriers. Harvard Business Review. Retrieved on 28 February 28, 2014 from http://hbr.org/2013/09/women-rising-the-unseen-barriers/

Stivers, C. (2014) Gender Images in Public Administration: Legitimacy and the Administrative State. Sage Publications, Thousand Oaks California.

No comments:

Post a Comment